CBD oil is used by many to treat their pain that has been affecting them for a long time and even anxiety related symptoms. Since, CBD is a non-addictive and natural compound; it can also be safely given to your pets as well to calm them down provided that the THC content of the oil is less than 0.3%.
You can give your pets your own CBD oil in small doses when certain drugs seem to fail to correct their health issues. Endocannabinoid system is effectively present in all animals including the primitive ones. Thus, all animals somewhat similar to humans can benefit from cannabidiol from your CBD oil.
You can look for products containing CBD for pets online at The Pet CBD Company where you can find vet quality products that are safe for your pets as all their products are hemp derived. Their THC content is well within the recommended range and you get pure CBD oil delivered at your doorstep without any extra costs.
Pet CBD oil
CBD oil for pets and humans is essentially the same, only flavor and concentration differs to a minor extent. They key essential points that you must remember before buying CBD oil for your most loved dog are:
- The THC content should not be high or the product should be entirely THC free as high dosage of THC can cause marijuana toxicosis.
- Avoid full spectrum oils as terpenes content can harm your little dog even if you have given only a small dose of the product.
- Always give them a dose which is lower than the one recommended on the bottle of CBD oil; 0.25 to 0.50 mg per pound of their body weight should be a safe starting dose.
- For any underlying health concerns, always follow the vet’s advice before trying to self-treat them.
- CBD oil market is non-regulated and the concentration of different compounds might be higher than what is mentioned, adjust the dose accordingly.
- Avoid CBD oil loaded with artificial or natural sweeteners as it can be harmful in the long run.
- Specially formulated CBD treats are the safest and most convenient way to administer CBD to pets.
Thus, only a pure, isolated form of CBD is safe for pets and not any other product that is good for human consumption.
Benefits of CBD in pets
- Dogs suffering from long term osteoarthritis can find great relief from pain with CBD oil as shown by a study.
- This also increases their comfort level and their overall mobility.
- CBD oil can provide enhanced relief from seizures when given in conjunction with their conventional epileptic medicines.
- It can also provide symptomatic relief from anxiety and chronic pain in your pets.
Easy steps to administer CBD to pets
There are 4 ways to administer CBD oil to pets. Choose whatever suits you and is easy for your precious little creature to consume.
- Mix it with their food:
- Ensure that the food is wet so that the oil mixes thoroughly and the entire dosage is administered.
- With solid food, the oil gets to the bottom of their serving bowl and they might not receive the full intended dose.
- Mixing the CBD product with water:
- Pets do not consume the entire serving quantity of water in one go and thus this method could prove to be less effective.
- If you are giving CBD for a serious health issue and need your pet to take the recommended dose, avoid mixing it with water.
- Direct administration on the tongue:
- It can be simple or the most tedious way depending on the allowance by your pet.
- Although, there is a complete guarantee of the dosage administered; but again it depends on the pet.
- CBD treats:
- Soft treats absorb oil and can be hand fed to ensure the entire product is swallowed.
- There are also CBD treat biscuits available in the market with calculated doses of CBD oil but they are very expensive.
You can also apply topical CBD products if the problem is external.
So, next time your dog shows signs of anxiety or pain that is not getting relief from traditional pet medicines; you can give CBD oil a considerable thought. Always talk to your pet’s vet before beginning any therapy yourself to ensure it is safely tolerated by your little creature.